Anthony Gramuglia's Reviews > On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

On Writing by Stephen King

Dec 30, 14

Read on December 30, 2014

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Writing.

Quotes Anthony Liked

Stephen King
“The road to hell is paved with adverbs.”

Stephen King
“Writing isn't about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end, it's about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well. It's about getting up, getting well, and getting over. Getting happy, okay? Getting happy.”

Stephen King
“You cannot hope to sweep someone else away by the force of your writing until it has been done to you.”

Stephen King
“In many cases when a reader puts a story aside because it 'got boring,' the boredom arose because the writer grew enchanted with his powers of description and lost sight of his priority, which is to keep the ball rolling.”

Stephen King
“The scariest moment is always just before you start.”

Stephen King
“Write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open.”

Stephen King
“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”

Stephen King
“Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.”

Stephen King
“Let's get one thing clear right now, shall we? There is no Idea Dump, no Story Central, no Island of the Buried Bestsellers; good story ideas seem to come quite literally from nowhere, sailing at you right out of the empty sky: two previously unrelated ideas come together and make something new under the sun. Your job isn't to find these ideas but to recognize them when they show up.”

Stephen King
“If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot. There's no way around these two things that I'm aware of, no shortcut.”

Stephen King
“Bad writing is more than a matter of shit syntax and faulty observation; bad writing usually arises from a stubborn refusal to tell stories about what people actually do― to face the fact, let us say, that murderers sometimes help old ladies cross the street.”

Stephen King
“I have spent a good many years since―too many, I think―being ashamed about what I write. I think I was forty before I realized that almost every writer of fiction or poetry who has ever published a line has been accused by someone of wasting his or her God-given talent. If you write (or paint or dance or sculpt or sing, I suppose), someone will try to make you feel lousy about it, that's all.”

12/30/2014 marked as: currently-reading