Maria Nes-Li's Reviews > The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: science, geekery
Recommended to Maria Nes-Li by: Dr. Daniel Sanchez
Recommended for: Anyone who is into virology
Read in September, 2006

This book was highly recommended by my immunology/virology professor. And with THE Stephen King mentioned that the book gave him the creeps, it really stirred my curiosity.

The book is about the reality of discovering viruses (Cue Big Bang Theory theme: Australopithecus would really have been sick of us Debating out while here they're catching deer (we're catching viruses). This tells the story of how scientist was able to discover three of the deadliest viruses that ravaged mankind during the 90s, Ebola and Marburg viruses. Sorry, it's not HIV.

"Hot Zone" detailed the story of some unsung heroes in the battle against these dreaded diseases. How these viruses were discovered, how they were spread, and how the experts were able to control the disease.

What made this book scare the crap out of Stephen King is the fact that these things are real. Viruses can be used as weapons in mass destruction, if these viruses fell into the wrong hands. Up to this day, there are still no cure or vaccine to stop Ebola Zaire, Ebola Sudan and Marburg viruses.

PS: The book also featured the Philippine Long-tailed macaques who also are carriers of another strain of Ebola, the Reston strain. Need not to worry, it's not fatal, yet.

9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hot Zone.