Chana's Reviews > The Nantucket Diet Murders

The Nantucket Diet Murders by Virginia Rich

Nov 20, 12

bookshelves: american, mystery-lite
Read on April 26, 2012

I guess this is what is called "a cozy mystery", although if I gave any credence to the events in the book, which the characters do not by the way, I would be pretty devastated. First a young woman, celebrating her birthday, chokes to death while eating a salad. Later a young woman is shot point blank in the head. But this being "a cozy mystery" nothing is described in gruesome detail and every one goes back to parties and knitting and getting their hair done or whatever. In this mystery the investigator is one of the old women who get together on Nantucket, whether they still live there or not, for lunches. But as I said, the mystery is very light, it is more of a gloss over the true pages of the book which are the reminiscences of the old woman (the author herself I would assume) about the many happy times she spent on Nantucket. So what really caught my interest in this book? A detail, a "light-ship basket" which is some sort of Nantucket purse. Maybe you have to come from old money to have a real one. Other than that, I don't drink or eat oysters or sail or come from old money so I didn't relate to the culture really. But I do diet! Don't we all? It was rather fun when the author reviews all the diets that most of us have probably been through. Now that I could relate to! The mystery itself wasn't too bad, not that great either, but OK.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nantucket Diet Murders.