Elizabeth B's Reviews > Kill Me Softly

Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

Apr 26, 12

Read in April, 2012

This books starts with the cadence of a long forgotten fairytale. It pulls you in from the introductory pages with the wonderful prose and descriptive writing. The beginning starts very strong and I got absorbed in the story quickly but (I always hate to have to add a “but”) it began to fizzle out almost immediately. The strong female lead turns into a simpering “love the bad boy” teen and all sorts of general clichés follow. I became more annoyed than her even as she kept demanding to know what was going on…it didn’t come off as suspenseful (which I imagine was the intent) but just annoying. I wish this had been written from a different point of view maybe because the one chosen just became too irritating to read – any sane, realistic, educated teen who spends their time reading classic novels would have left ages before. Not because of the fairytale aspect but just because the town’s inhabitants were too annoying and self-righteous to hang around with. The “twist” of her parents was a letdown that never materialized into anything more than added teen angst. So very disappointing in this one after the amazing start.

ARC Galley Proof

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill Me Softly.