Jessica Day's Reviews > Sweet Venom

Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs

Apr 26, 12

Read in April, 2012

I'm a big fan of Tera Lynn Child's writing. Her characters are always so youthful and fun! Yet Sweet Venom just didn't do it for me. I was disappointed. While the characters were still fun, young and witty, I found myself getting lost in the different points of view, and getting bored in the story.
To be blunt, I've never sought books with points of view that swap in first person. It bugs me, and half the time I find the characters blending into one voice. For me to enjoy multiple first person narratives, the voices have to be very distinct and different. In Sweet Venom, I believe the author accomplished this in Gretchen, but Grace and Greer on the other hand were way too girly and similar. Yes they had different characters, but similar voices. I feel Greer was mentioned too late in the book anyway. It changed the whole atmosphere of the story and I don't think the timing was right. Half the book dragged and bored me, and the other bit was quicker but by then I had lost interest. As always TLC's characters were amazing and the idea was cool, but I feel like she missed her mark. I am doubtful that I will pick up the next book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Venom.