Jordan's Reviews > Other Words for Love

Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal

U 50x66
Apr 26, 2012

Ari Mitchell had always felt overlooked and under apriciated in midst of her beautiful best friend and older sister. When Ari moves to a very prestegious new school, she meets an interesting new friend who introduces her to her cousin. Ari falls hard and fast for him. Although this might sound like a love story, it's more than just that. After her break up with her first love, Blake, Ari is lost and depressed. She doesn't really know what she wants and she doesn't really have anyone to talk to. By the end of the story, Ari has found herself and finds the courage to tell Blake how she feels and saying goodbye at the same time, even when he says he wants her back. This book was not what I expected, and that's one reason I really liked it. Lorraine Zago Rosenthal's "Other Words For Love" intrigued me with its unexpected love story.

To start off, I think some themes of this story are to never let someone drag you down, move on, find yourself and do what's best for you. This story is about Ari's first love, so it's easy for many people to relate to. Things with Ari and Blake were good for while, but when Blake's dad's ambitions for him get in the way, Ari finds herself out of Blake's life. I can relate to this because I know what it's like to have a boyfriend's parent think you're holding their child back. I had a boyfriend that went away for college while we agreed to still date. Long distance relationships are hard enough, but when he came home to visit, he spent a lot of time with me, and his mom didn't like that. She tried to get him to break up with me. That's a lot like what Blake's dad did in the story, because he tried to get Ari to break up with Blake by bribing her with anything she wanted.

Secondly, in this book, I think Ari is the most important character because it's all about her first love and her finding her voice. The writer did make me believe in her as a person, because she made a very hard decision to give him up even though she would always feel for him. I really like Ari in the book. I think she's a great inspirtation to girls everywhere because she didn't let the boy she loved more than anything take advantage of her or downgrade her own feelings.

To continue, this book made me feel like I really knew Ari. There was so much discription and we followed Ari's feelings and actions through the whole book. I saw her build herself up, break down, and then build herself up again but without cracks. I can picture this sinerio happening to anybody.

To conclude, I would definitely recomment this story to everybody. It's very revealing and relatable. Ari's story and truely touching and inspiring. It's an honest story that teens and adult alike can enjoy. "Other words for love" is a great story because it's truely timeless and a great romance that's different from any other.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other Words for Love.