Lee's Reviews > Michael Martone

Michael Martone by Michael Martone

Jul 07, 12

Read from June 03 to 12, 2012

Every other note or so I really loved, particularly about his Harvard students, George Plimpton, John Barth, the one that suggests Gordon Lish. Clever, good natured, amiable, affable stuff -- I'm glad I read it. If the average note were a bit shorter, this would be a great bathroom book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Michael Martone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by M. (new)

M. Sarki You know, this is the reason, mainly, that I am on this goodreads site almost daily, just in case somebody lists something that catches my eye. This writer Martone looks very interesting to a Midwest boy like me. Thanks. It also helps that Jaime loved it. True to form, I have ordered two completely different books of Martone's from my local library to read first because they don't have this one.

message 2: by M. (new)

M. Sarki Thanks. saved me from reading it. I have another one of his I will tackle soon enough.

Mike Puma My copy of MM just arrived. Here's hoping I like it more than you did. Thanks for the review.

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee It's worth reading, and it's studded with great little nuggets throughout -- you guys might love it.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Page LOL! I've often wondered why Goodreads doesn't have a "bathroom book" star.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Page I read The Blue Book Guide to Indiana, and I found that it was so specific to Indiana that the humor might be lost on many people. Does he have any books that aren't about, well, him?

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Page Also, I must point out that there is a rat thing on your head. That is all!

message 8: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee A plastic dinosaur, thank you!

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Page Oh! Well, then I must point out that, in a thumbnail, it looks like you have a beloved pet rat on your head ;)

message 10: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Puma I waited until after I'd read and reviewed MM to reread your review. We're not so far apart, although reading it quickly and without relying on the occasional bathroom probably helped my enjoyment.