Jack Cheng's Reviews > No Cheating, No Dying: I Had a Good Marriage. Then I Tried To Make It Better.

No Cheating, No Dying by Elizabeth Weil

2055665
Apr 26, 12

Read in April, 2012

The premise to this memoir is that the author takes on various therapies and exercises to improve her marriage over the course of a year. It's a short book, which is good because both partners in the marriage are insufferable in different ways, although this is clearly exaggerated somewhat for comedic effect. And of course, where she writes about how well she and her husband get along sounds like bragging. She can't win with me.

Any tips to take away? Listen empathically, be close but do your own thing and maintain your own identity, blah blah blah. Ultimately, Weil won me over because she seems to be the person best suited for her husband and he for her. And she scores with the last chapter, where she reviews memoirs of spousal loss that she found moving and reminds us that the things that drive us crazy about our partners (the socks on the floor, or whatever) are the bits of themselves that they have NOT shared with us, and thus the things that we will miss the most when they're gone.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Cheating, No Dying.