Jessica's Reviews > Blockade Billy

Blockade Billy by Stephen King

Apr 26, 12

Read on April 26, 2012

I'm not really proud of the fact, but I've read pretty much everything Stephen King has written. There are a lot of his books that I love, and a lot more that are entertaining, but not that great, and a few where I just can't get over how dumb the premise is. This novella falls somewhere in that middle category. The premise is interesting, and obviously exploits one of Stephen King's greatest loves, baseball. The story follows an old ex-baseball manager telling the story of one of the players he once managed, Blockade Billy. Throughout the story we're given hints that something horrible or at least really weird happens in the story of Blockade Billy. There's all this build-up and then... it just doesn't really deliver. The reveal of the real story behind Blockade Billy is pretty anticlimactic. I wanted something really unpredictable, something I couldn't have guessed, but I didn't get that. Instead I got a rather tame and predictable ending that took over a hundred pages to get to (granted these were tiny pages with large print, probably closer to 60 pages in a normal hardback). This story only backed up my opinion that King's work is getting less original as he goes on. It feels as though he's run out of ideas and therefore must make them so off the wall they're stupid, or so tame they're predictable. His best works for me will always remain his earlier works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blockade Billy.