Barbara Kyle's Reviews > The Queen's Lady

1491952
Sep 03, 2008

(Review from the author)

5 likes ·

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Lady.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh a sequel! Me and my Granie can't wait!!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I actually just finished reading The King's Daughter this past Thursday and I'm begging my mother to take me to the store to get The Queen's Captive. Super excited for The Queen's Gamble!I'm loving the series! :D

Cookie Awesome author from a fellow Canadian, got all 4 books and read them all in a week..waiting for #5

Barbara Kyle So glad to hear it, Cookie - thanks!

message 5: by Marie (last edited Aug 20, 2013 08:38AM) (new)

Marie Macpherson Hope to start The Queen's Lady soon - Anabaptists yeah!!

Barbara Kyle Great to hear, Marie; thanks for letting me know. I hope you'll enjoy The Queen's Lady, and that it will whet your appetite to follow the Thornleigh family's adventures into the next five books in their saga! Are you at work on a new novel?

Best regards,
Barbara

message 7: by Marie (new)

Marie Macpherson Am enjoying it, Barbara - recognise familiar themes (religious persecution, corrupt clergy etc) Greatly admire your intricate plotting & skilful narrative pacing. Hope to learn from it too!
Now drafting Book 2 of the trilogy with all the anxieties & fears that brings!

All the best,
Marie

Barbara Kyle Thanks for your very kind words, Marie.

I well know that anxiety you're talking about when one sets to work on a new novel. (I'm slaving now at the outline for Thornleigh Book #7.) However, having read your recent interview on The History Lady blog (which I've just tweeted) I have no doubt that you'll create a fine book.

For the record, here's a lovely quote from Booker-nominated author Jim Crace: "When you start a novel it is always like pushing a boulder uphill. Then, after a while, to mangle the metaphor, the boulder fills with helium and becomes a balloon that carries you the rest of the way to the top. You just have to hold your nerve and trust to narrative."

All best,
Barbara

message 9: by Marie (new)

Marie Macpherson Thanks for that, Barbara At the moment it feels more like a Sisyphean task as the boulder keeps rolling back downhill! Waiting for the gas so I can take off! Trying desperately to take your advice about writing a synopsis but keep jumping back & forth.
Yours aye, Marie

Krystal My only problem is that goodreads is saying it's 500 pages when it's really 530. So I can't really count progress when the page number is wrong.

Barbara Kyle That's odd about the page count, Krystal. But I certainly appreciate the 5-star rating you gave The Queen's Lady. Thanks!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Do you want me to change the number of pages? What should it be?

Krystal Susanna I believe the actual page count is 530.

Barbara Kyle Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Do you want me to change the number of pages? What should it be?"

Susanna, thanks for asking. The U.S. edition of The Queen's Lady is 525 pages (excluding Author's Note). The U.K. edition page count is 558. Cheers!

Barbara Kyle Krystal wrote: "Susanna I believe the actual page count is 530."

Krystal, thanks for your post. The U.S. edition of The Queen's Lady is 525 pages (excluding Author's Note). The U.K. edition page count is 558. And thanks again for the 5 stars you gave it :)

Krystal I'm Canadian do I have American edition anyway?

Barbara Kyle Krystal wrote: "I'm Canadian do I have American edition anyway?"

Yes, the U.S. edition is the one available in Canada. (I'm Canadian too :)

Krystal I know that's why I asked because I just think for u to be a Canadian author that your books are more expensive in Canada then the US.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Which are your US and UK publishers? I count 5 editions from Kensington, 3 from Canvas, 1 from Brava, and 1 from Onyx (not counting non-English editions).

I thought authors could change page count on their own books? If not, they ought to.

Barbara Kyle Krystal wrote: "I know that's why I asked because I just think for u to be a Canadian author that your books are more expensive in Canada then the US."

My publisher, Kensington Books, is a U.S. company based in New York, Krystal. Publishers set the price of books. I have no control over that.

Barbara Kyle Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Which are your US and UK publishers? I count 5 editions from Kensington, 3 from Canvas, 1 from Brava, and 1 from Onyx (not counting non-English editions).

I thought authors could change page coun..."

The U.S. publisher of my Thornleigh Saga books is Kensington. They have an imprint called Brava. My U.K. publisher is Constable & Robinson who publish my books under their Canvas imprint. Onyx was an imprint of Penguin who published early editions (now out of print) of my first two Thornleigh Saga novels. As for page count, the publisher determines how a book will be produced. Unless an author is self-published he/she has no say in the page count. I hope this helps!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads I meant here at GR; I thought GR Authors could edit their own book pages?