Crini's Reviews > The Diviners

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Have you ever wanted to reread a book as early as only a few days after you finished it? That’s how I feel about The Diviners right now. I liked everything about it, I adore it and I could reread it right away, dive into this awesome world again and relive this both funny and exiting adventure with Evie and all those other remarkable characters again.

First of all there is the setting. I never thought I would like to read historical fiction but after reading a few books I realized I do, a lot. The 1920s in New York are a great time and I absorbed all the details about the city, its clubs and how the police work. I couldn’t get enough of it. In addition to that I had a thing for the language. I just loved how they talk and it often made me smile or even laugh because they use very cute words to describe things they like, how they name people and how they curse.

And OMG these characters are absolutely loveable. I couldn’t get enough of them. They are all so different and unique. It was often funny, sometimes really cute, other times gripping when they interact, but most of all really funny, they made me laugh a lot.
And they were really surprising too. I knew there was going to be a love story somewhere but I never expected this one. There are a few boys in here, everyone one of a kind and likeable, and I always had some assumptions which one of them would meet Evie and whom she would like but it turned out to be all wrong. Libba Bray made an awesome choice with the pair we get to read about. I totally ship the two of them and very much hope that they will end up together.

Part of why I didn’t expect how this turned out was because I too much concentrated on Evie. But this story is not all about her. We get to read from a lot of different people’s perspectives which is something I always like a lot. It’s exciting to read about different people, get to know them through their own storytelling and it’s especially exciting to wait for them to finally meet and their storylines to crash and the unknown of not only when but also who is going to meet who.

The whole story has only a few parts that are really action packed. Since I like slow-paced stories if the topic itself is interesting, which this one sure is, I loved this about the story too. There is so much to find out, about the Diviners, about the murders, about the characters, about New York, it doesn’t has a chance to get boring for even one page. And there really wasn’t even one page I thought about that it could have been left out. I even wished there would have been more.

And oh my, the end. It was perfect but I just didn’t want it to end already and I had so many questions and I wanted to know what’s going on next, what will happen to Evie and all the others. There isn’t an evil cliffhanger, the case of the murder is closed, but still there are so many unanswered questions, so many things I want to know RIGHT NOW. I’m pretty sure I’m not able to wait a year till I can read the second book. Maybe I just have to reread and reread the first one then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diviners.

11/06/2012 page 98
16.0% "I ab-so-lute-ly love it :D"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shiku Das ging ja fix! :0

Crini Hatte auch Glück und ausgerechnet gestern und heute jede Menge Zeit zum Lesen + ich konnts auch einfach nicht weg legen, fand es zu gut^^

Shiku Wie gut, dass ich gerade heute mein Buch beendet habe, sonst würd ich ganz fuchsig werden vor Ungeduld. xD

Crini ist übrigens genau wie Death Watch eher eins von der Sorte, dass mit weniger Spannung auskommt. Hoffe deshalb finden es viele nicht zu langweilig, aber ich mag sowas ja ganz gerne, wenn mich das Thema, Charaktere etc anspricht (und vor allem die Charaktere fand ich hier bombig :D)

Nadine Ich lese es auch gerade und bin richtig begeistert!