Angelique's Reviews > Lament

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: 2012, bonn-library, read-in-english, ya, maggie-stiefvater, red
Read from April 25 to 27, 2012

While being a big fan of Maggie Stiefvater, I hesitated a long time before picking up Lament. Surprisingly, I was hooked right from beginning of the novel and could hardly put it down to sleep or get off the bus or listen to a lecture. It was a very quick read - and even though this is also true of The Scorpio Races, I liked the latter a lot more in terms of the story than Lament.

The writing is great, the theme of music is well woven into the story, the characters are interesting and the narrative voice is querky and funny. Nevertheless, the whole feary business just didn't work for me in the end (but this is probably just me... with Wicked Lovely it was about the same). Also, I would have liked for James to have a bigger role in the second part of the book because I really liked him and I felt like not only Dee had in the end almost forgotten about him. Finally, the ending just didn't convince me enough - and I really hate to criticize all this but in my opinion Stiefvater's later/other books have more depth than this one.

Conclusion: An enjoyable read, a book to get lost in but not a story that touches you as much as Shiver or other books by Maggie Stiefvater do (I'm sorry, Maggie!).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lament.