Anny • quееŋ of lakе Ilмеŋ's Reviews > Les Misérables

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Misérables.

Quotes Anny Liked

Victor Hugo
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”

Victor Hugo
“To love another person is to see the face of God.”

Victor Hugo
“If I speak, I am condemned.
If I stay silent, I am damned!”

Victor Hugo
“Teach the ignorant as much as you can; society is culpable in not providing a free education for all and it must answer for the night which it produces. If the soul is left in darkness sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.”

Victor Hugo
“Promise to give me a kiss on my brow when I am dead. --I shall feel it."

She dropped her head again on Marius' knees, and her eyelids closed. He thought the poor soul had departed. Eponine remained motionless. All at once, at the very moment when Marius fancied her asleep forever, she slowly opened her eyes in which appeared the sombre profundity of death, and said to him in a tone whose sweetness seemed already to proceed from another world:--

"And by the way, Monsieur Marius, I believe that I was a little bit in love with you.”

Victor Hugo
“Not being heard is no reason for silence.”

Victor Hugo
“You ask me what forces me to speak? a strange thing; my conscience.”

Victor Hugo
“The pupil dilates in darkness and in the end finds light, just as the soul dilates in misfortune and in the end finds God.”

Victor Hugo
“Marius and Cosette were in the dark in regard to each other. They did not speak, they did not bow, they were not acquainted; they saw each other; and, like the stars in the sky separated by millions of leagues, they lived by gazing upon each other.”

Victor Hugo
“There are no weeds, and no worthless men. There are only bad farmers.”

Victor Hugo
“Forget not, never forget that you have promised me to use this silver to become an honest man.... Jean Valjean, my brother: you belong no longer to evil, but to good. It is your soul that I am buying for you. I withdraw it from dark thoughts and from the spirit of perdition, and I give it to God!”