Jo's Reviews > The Stonehenge Legacy

The Stonehenge Legacy by Sam Christer

May 01, 12

Read from April 26 to May 01, 2012

This was potentially a great idea and it was quite an exciting yarn.
When I was given the book by a friend I thought it would be a nice long read, it contains 481 pages! Unfortunately this was not the case, the fact that there are also 191 chapters of roughly one and a half pages in length, each with a gap between them means that the actual written word takes up far less than one would think at first galnce.
The blurb on the back of the book proclaims it to be 'packed with codes' er no! There is one code at the very beginning of the book which even I could have broken, a reverse alphabet is hardly the Enigma code.
Dan Brown is not the only writer in this genre and I get a little tired of every book with the word code, or symbol on the cover being lauded a the next Dan brown, I have yet to read the Da Vinci Code but I have read other excellent books with this type of subject matter.
The book was written at a very fast pace, almost as if the author was in a hurry to finish.
I am asuming that the author is English because the book was published here but the style seems somehow a little American.
The biggest problem I have with the book is the awful grammar, so much so that in the end I found myself distracted from the story because I was waiting for the next error. Maybe the author is very young and this is the way that English is now taught but it drove me literally to distraction.
On nine occasions the author uses the word sat in the present tense i.e. 'he was sat opposite', 'His colleague is sat', 'Caitlyn is sat up'. There are several instances of the use of the word stood being used in the present tense i.e. 'he was stood in the stone circle','he was stood outside the shop', and finally the author says that something 'had to happen quick'! What is wrong with using the few extra letters and saying that someone is 'standing outside the shop', is 'sitting or even seated depending on the context of the sentence', and it would be so much more pleasant to read that something 'had to be done quickly'. I thought it was the job of proof readers or editors to sort out this type of error before a book was published.
I was also given this author's second book by a friend and as I am not a quitter and it was a gift I shall at some point read it but I feel the need to go to a different genre for a while and then I may return and I may even read a Dan Brown!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stonehenge Legacy.

04/26/2012 page 300
60.0% "Very quick read, thin plot, very poor grammar!!!"