Kelly's Reviews > The Hidden Staircase

The Hidden Staircase by Carolyn Keene

Sep 03, 08

bookshelves: childhood-loves, fiction

I blame these books for my first recess of having to sit on the bench while the other kids played. It was third grade, I was reading one of these under my desk during math time, and totally got caught answering, "Wha-hu?" instead of the answer to a long division problem. It was traumatizing, I had never been in trouble! (Except that one time we got in trouble for throwing snowballs on the playground in the middle of January. No, really.) But it tells you how much I love these books that I didn't care! In fact, I think I went right back to reading the next day. I had the ones with just these exact covers, too. I must've had at least thirty of them, if not more. They consumed pretty much the entire third grade year.

Nancy was smart and pretty and had a nice boyfriend, and got to go into chillingly fun places that involved fog and full moons and stakeouts, and at that age, I hadn't a /clue/ what the end could /possibly/ be, so they always kept me in suspense right until the very end. What isn't to love?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Staircase.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Alpha  ♡ Haha when I was in elementary school, I *always* read books under the desk too! Especially during math time! I've been reading Nancy Drew pretty much my whole life haha :)

message 2: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I loved them too. I think they might have been my first series books. I would sneak my nightlight back on to read after everyone went to sleep.

Kelly Oh yes! Nightlight under the sheets! The classic booknerd move. They were totally worth it! Eventually I think my parents just gave up and hoped I would discover the virtues of sleep on my own. :)