Sherrie's Reviews > Prep

it was ok
bookshelves: 2006booklist
Recommended for: outsiders.
Read in July, 2006

The 2nd book of the year by Ms. Sittenfield. (Yes, Curtis is a female). I liked this one MUCH better (see Book No. 31). A midwest girl, Lee Fiora who has won a scholarship, finds herself at an elite boarding school near Boston. It deals with coming of age and class distinctions. It has all the usual characters…the popular pretty girls, the handsome jocks, the gay best friend. With all that, I can see myself staying far away from this book…(I HATE all those 80 movies about cry-ass white teenagers, ie. 16 Candles, The Breakfast Club…bascially the whole John Hughes Crapologue.) however, this book is written so very well, coming from so many angles, it never drifts into that type of arena. I mean, it DOES, however, it is handled realistically and thoughtfully. This review from Amazon puts it perfectly: Lee's status as an outsider is further affirmed after her parents drive 18 hours in their beat-up Datsun to attend Parent's Weekend, where most of the kids "got trashed and ended up skinny-dipping in the indoor pool" at their parents' fancy hotel. Yet even as the weekend deteriorates into disaster and ends with a heartbreaking slap across the face, Sittenfeld never blames or excuses anyone; rather, she simply incorporates the experience into Lee's sense of self. Exactly. A very nice read. Book #37 of my 2006 Book List, finished reading it on 7-19-06.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prep.