Anita's Reviews > The Innocent

6820114
Apr 26, 2012

bookshelves: suspense-thriller, action-adventure
Read from May 02 to 04, 2012

Will Robie is a hitman for the American government who has many successful missions under his belt. When Robie finds the target of his next mission is a DC staffer with children, his moral code doesn't permit him to pull the trigger, and he feels he is being set up. On the run, Robie rescues a 14-year old teenage runaway, whose parents were murdered, and who finds herself a target as well. Together, Robie and Julie try to find her parents' killers and sort out who is setting Robie up with the assistance of female FBI Agent Vance.

I liked the characters in this book, which has a similar appeal as Lee Child's Reacher novels. Will Robie is the strong silent military type, and Julie is the smart, street-wise teenager, though I think David Baldacci should have made her a bit older than fourteen (which isn't all that believable). Agent Vance's character isn't developed fully, but perhaps that will come in the next novels? As well, I find it implausible the way Robie and Julie meet - her being pursued by a killer and Robie stepping in to be a bit to coincidental, even thought that is explained at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Innocent.