LJ's Reviews > The Damned Season

The Damned Season by Carlo Lucarelli

Sep 03, 08

bookshelves: europe, historical, italy, male_author, mystery, police_procedural, ww2_1939-45
Read in August, 2008

THE DAMNED SEASON (Pol. Proc-Comm. De Luca-Italy-1945) – VG
Lucarelli, Carlo – 2nd in Trilogy
Europa Editions, 1991/2007, US Trade paperback – ISBN: 9781933372273

First Sentence: There was a land mine in the middle of the trail.

The Allies have come to Italy and Commissario De Luca is exhausted, hungry and traveling with false papers as his name is on the list of those wanted for working with the Social Republic. He is found by a young officer, Brigadier Leonardi, who wants to be good policeman solving crimes. He saw De Luca at a police-training course and offers to keep De Luca’s identity a secret in exchange for showing him how to solve the murder of four people and a dog.

The translation from Italian to English does seem a bit awkward at times, but not so much as to every stop me, and while this is the second book of a trilogy, the mystery does stand alone.

The plot is a puzzle and I was fascinated watching De Luca pick up each small piece and put it in place. Having the book set in such a period of political uncertainly gave the story an element of suspense, but it is really a murder investigation. De Luca said it best “This is not a moral battle between the good guys and the bad buys, Brigadier,” he said. “For us, homicide is simply a physical fact, a question of legal responsibility.”

There is very little, basically no, character development which would usually annoy me. The book is totally plot driven, and I find the plot so interesting, I didn’t mind. What little development there was of De Luca makes him a very human and interesting character.

As with the first book of the Trilogy, at the end the murder is solved but De Luca’s future is unknown. I know I’ll be reading Part III to find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Damned Season.