NotoriousGOT's Reviews > Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

May 29, 2012

bookshelves: advance-copies, fantasy, kindle, young-adult, 2012-read, epic-reads, romance, book-boyfriends
Read from May 16 to 24, 2012

When I first saw Tiger Lily hidden among all the other Harper Teen galleys, I was like, "Oh what the shit is this? A retelling of Peter Pan? NOOO!!!". Then I picked it up and read the back summary and thought, "Nooo!!! It's a love triangle with Peter, Tiger Lily and Wendy? NOOOOOO!!!" Then I actually started reading the book and I realized "Holy $%@&! This is really amazing and not at all what I expected." And thus began my relationship with Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson.

This story, told from the POV of Tinkerbell, is so unique, sensitive, touching, remarkable and unforgettable. It isn't so much a retelling as it is a re-imagining. While Jodi Lynn certainly kept some of the original storyline in terms of the relationships, personality traits and characters, the entire plot line is completely original. But this book isn't a plot based story. In my opinion it truly is a character study and a beautiful coming-of-age story mixed with a lot of social commentary.

I don't want to talk about the plot, because I don't want to give anything away, so instead I want to talk about the writing. Jodi Lynn is so tender with her words and her characters. Since it's told from Tinkerbell's POV who is mute, it's a unique "fly on the wall" type of set up, but given that Tink is a faerie and therefore can really "get inside someone's head" and understand their emotions, we are given a bit more insight into the characters than we normally would with this kind of POV.

Tink was always my favorite character in the original Disney movie, and Jodi Lynn's version makes me love her even more. But the focus, obviously, is on Tiger Lily. Luckily, I had almost completely forgotten her role in the Disney movie (sorry, but I haven't read the original story yet) so it was nice going into this story sort of unbiased as to who Tiger Lily is.

Tiger Lily is such a believably flawed character. I have absolutely nothing in common with her, yet I completely identified with her. With her struggle to fit in, accept who she is as as a woman and apart of this community she has grown up in, and of course her relationship with Peter.

While Tiger Lily is certainly one of the best parts of this story, it really is all the subtle social commentary that I found myself attracted to the most. Jodi touches on sexual identity, religion, identity all with grace and sensitivity. I like that all those bits are in this story, something I see a lot of young adult novels shy away from.

Overall this is a bittersweet story that I absolutely adored. I apologize if my review seems all over the place. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly I love about this story, but I highly recommend it to EVERYONE. It's so refreshing to read a standalone novel in today's world of trilogy and epic series. This is a quiet, beautiful novel and one I am surely not to forget anytime soon.
33 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger Lily.

Quotes NotoriousGOT Liked

Jodi Lynn Anderson
“Did you know I always thought you were braver than me? Did you ever guess that that was why I was so afraid? It wasn't that I only loved some of you. But I wondered if you could ever love more than some of me.

I knew I'd miss you. But the surprising thing is, you never leave me. I never forget a thing. Every kind of love, it seems, is the only one. It doesn't happen twice. And I never expected that you could have a broken heart and love with it too, so much that it doesn't seem broken at all. I know young people look at me and think my youth seems so far away, but it's all around me, and you're all around me. Tiger Lily, do you think magic exists if it can be explained? I can explain why I loved you, I can explain the theory of evolution that tells me why mermaids live in Neverland and nowhere else. But it still feels magic.

The lost boys all stood at our wedding. Does it seem odd to you that they could have stood at a wedding that wasn't yours and mine? It does to me. and I'm sorry for it, and for a lot, and I also wouldn't change it.

It is so quiet here. Even with all the trains and the streets and the people. It's nothing like the jungle. The boys have grown. Everything has grown. Do you think you will ever grow? I hope not. I like to think that even if I change and fade away, some other people won't.

I like to think that one day after I die, at least one small particle of me - of all the particles that will spread everywhere - will float all the way to Neverland, and be part of a flower or something like that, like that poet said, the one that your Tik Tok loved. I like to think that nothing's final, and that everyone gets to be together even when it looks like they don't, that it all works out even when all the evidence seems to say something else, that you and I are always young in the woods, and that I'll see you sometime again, even if it's not with any kind of eyes I know of or understand. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the way things go after all - that all things end happy. Even for you and Tik Tok. and for you and me.

Always,
Your Peter

P.S. Please give my love to Tink. She was always such a funny little bug.”
Jodi Lynn Anderson, Tiger Lily

05/16
05/22
62.0% "Loving the writing style of this book so much. Tink's voice is so original and perfect!"
05/24
82.0% "OMG Peter is being such a douche." 3 comments
06/13 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Megan RIGHT?! Infuriating.

NotoriousGOT Megan wrote: "RIGHT?! Infuriating." I want to make some "Team Tiger Lily" tshirts.

message 3: by Riley (new)

Riley I so want to read this now! Are you going to do a full review? If so, looking forward to it.

NotoriousGOT Riley wrote: "I so want to read this now! Are you going to do a full review? If so, looking forward to it."

Reviewed!

message 5: by Riley (new)

Riley YAAAAAAY this sounds awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

message 6: by May (new) - rated it 5 stars

May K. I love your way of putting all the aspects of the book into just one review. Tiger Lily IS a flawed character but she's not like Katniss. You're not far away from her thoughts. It's a very lovely story in the most heartbreaking fashion

NotoriousGOT May wrote: "I love your way of putting all the aspects of the book into just one review. Tiger Lily IS a flawed character but she's not like Katniss. You're not far away from her thoughts. It's a very lovely s..."

Thanks for your comment! I love the thought "you're not far away from her thoughts...." so true!