Terri's Reviews > The Litigators

The Litigators by John Grisham

F 50x66
Apr 26, 12

"The Litigators" was not my favorite John Grisham book, but I liked it well enough to stick with it. What was unique about this book, and what made me keep going, was that the tables were turned here. The protagonists did not "win" in the traditional sense, and the defendants were not necessarily the bad guys. The big corporate law firms were, however, painted as antagonists as they generally are. Another unique element to this book was the humor - the book had a little bit of a Janet Evanovich feel, and I found that appealing. What I didn't like was that the book was really slow at times but, because I was really interested in how things would come together and be resolved, I kept with it.

In "The Litigators," David Zinc is on the edge. We meet him as he is his arriving at his job at the mega Chicago law firm, Rogan Rothberg. He appears to be on the verge of a heart attack. What is revealed, however, is that he is having a major anxiety attack, a breakdown if you will. His only salvation is to jump ship and leave Rogan Rothberg where he is earning big bucks - but selling his soul to do it. Across town the two lawyers who make up the "boutique" law firm of Finley & Figg are slogging along listening for sirens and a way to make a quick buck. The three lawyers come together in a happenstance sort of way and take on a mass tort case against a big-time drug company supposedly selling a cholesterol lowering drug that causes heart damage and even death to the users. The case becomes bigger than they expect and more than three lawyers with no trial experience can handle. The ending was unexpected but realistic.

This book would be entirely appropriate for teens, as well as adults - no sex, little violence, and no language that I remember. It would be an interesting read for a criminal law class.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Litigators.