BookHookup's Reviews > The Vampire's Daughter

The Vampire's Daughter by Shayne Leighton

Apr 26, 12

**This novel was given to The Book Hookup but did not influence the review**

Celeste’s review: A vampire found a human baby and then raised her as his own because there was something about her that was so pure it spoke to him….that appealed to me straight away….such a different concept! I was fascinated with the idea of a human girl living in a magical world. However, Charlotte, the human girl, is now an adult and has feelings for her vampire, Valek. eek. I tried to get past this, but I just had such a hard time with the concept of a father figure as a romantic interest.

My plan was to try and put the background of their relationship out of my mind and focus on the rest of the story. In this novel, the vampires of the world are the target of a genocide. They are the traditional vampires we are familiar with, but the rest of the society and secondary characters were written so well. The magical elves in power want to wipe every last vampire out and rule the world on their own. At the same time the next heir to power, elf Aiden, wants Charlotte for himself. So now the couple Charlotte and Valek are in even more danger, which is the story that is told here.

Ms. Leighton has a fabulous imagination, I truly loved all the characters in this world, I felt as though I could picture them perfectly. Every time a vampire’s hand was described as a claw, I could just visualize the cold, dead skin. I loved Mr. Trinozka and Edwin, although both creepy, they were both creatively fascinting at the same time.

The fight to save both Charlotte and the vampires was intense and quite a few times I wasn’t sure who was going to be killed and who would survive. It definitely kept my attention and I wanted to find out what would happen. There seemed to be several parts of the story that were unclear, slight inconsistencies, but did not take away from the story and something a great editor would catch. All in all it was an entertaining read and Shayne Leighton definiteley has a fantastic imagination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire's Daughter.