William Bentrim's Reviews > Overkill

Overkill by Steven Shrewsbury

Apr 26, 12

Read in April, 2012

Overkill by Steven Shrewsbury

Gorias LaGaul is back and as I said in my review of Thrall, he would kick Conan’s butt. This is the second book in a dark heroic fantasy with an aging protagonist.

Gorias is a protagonist that I can identify with in many aspects. Pragmatic to a fault he is accepting of his age and doesn’t let it stop him from doing what he wants to do. I’m not sure I can identify with his ruthlessness but it certainly is effective. He has skewed soft spots that pop up with surprising frequency. He is a much, much larger than life character. That is what makes him so entertaining.

The story provide Gorias with a quest. Requested to quest by a former love, he acquiesces reluctantly. His personal code of ethics demands he remain loyal to past loves. In his case, it means a wealth of women for whom he must be loyal.

As fantasies go, there are the requisites of Dragons, monsters, demons, wizards, pirates and assorted nefarious characters. Steven adds his own personal twists to the standard hosts providing them with identities that enable them to be unique.

Action runs amuck as well as libidos, the easily offended may want to pass on this book. For the rest of us who enjoy rollicking good humor and raucous action this is a book for the must read shelf.

I highly recommend the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overkill.