Susan Mann's Reviews > Torn

Torn by Cat Clarke

Jun 08, 2012

Read in March, 2012

I loved Cat Clarke's first book Entangled which you can read my review on here. It really hit a spot with me and was a book that has never left me and one I continue to talk about how deep it affected me. So when she brought our her second stand alone book Torn I was excited to read it.

Torn is about a girl called Alice and her best friend who is called Cass. They share a cabin with Miss High School Popularity Tara, along with some misfits Polly and Rae. This is when they are on a school trip to bonnie Scotland. However, a plan to take Tara down a peg or two goes horribly wrong. Things won't ever be the same again.

Cat has a way with words and her novels take you right back to what it was like to be a teenager, how difficult and awkward it was. She writes it perfectly and makes you feel like everything you are reading really happened, that it was a true story. You can relate to every one of her characters in some way and I really like Alice and felt empathy for her from the start. She's not one of the popular girls in school but she's certainly not the least popular. You get little snippets of her past which unfold throughout the book.

The accident itself was horrific and what happened afterwards really was unforgivable, you feel for them you really do, the whole group of them. This book covers grief, bullying, guilt and all the things in between. It is a fantastic book one for adults to read and teenagers a like. It will leave you with a lot to think about and will keep you on the edge of your seat. Enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torn.