Regina's Reviews > White Cat

White Cat by Holly Black

Apr 26, 2012

bookshelves: audio-also-listened-to, listened-to-audio-only, only-listeneed-to, ya, urban-fantasy-uf, will-continue-series
Read from April 26 to 27, 2012

3.5 stars, I am rounding because of the last 30% of this book. The beginning is slow, Holly Black takes world and story set up seriously. Aside from the awesome open scene (one of the best opening scenes ever), the story is very a slow build and may be frustrating at times. But once the halfway mark is hit, it becomes rewarding. I listened to the audio and while in the end I enjoyed the performance, it took me awhile to connect with the characters. I would recommend reading this book instead of listening, although I have to admit I requested the audio of #2 from the library, merely as an experiment though. Now that I am into the series and the characters, maybe my experience will be different.

This is a young adult paranormal series written from the point of view of a male character. The world is like ours, but people who work magic are out and known about. In many books, magic workers operate in secret and I often wonder -- why not just let the world know? Well this book approaches the magic working world from the angle of what happens when the world knows. Magic Workers become feared, targeted with violence and very restrictive laws are put in place.

The story is dark and surprising. It is has a new innovative feel, but still relies on many of the young adult tropes -- it takes place in and out of a private boarding school, the family of the lead is weird and messed up and the lead doesn't know quite who he is. But what Holly Black does from there has a new feel and I look forward to reading #2 in the Curse Workers series. Oh, and I loved the ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Cat.