Jowana Bueser's Reviews > Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn

Jun 18, 2012

liked it
Read from May 20 to June 17, 2012

1. These are my kind of kids! Dash and Lily spends time in book stores, knows obscure literature, plays hangman to kill time and finds love in a red Moleskine notebook. (I am not ashamed to call them kids because am practically old enough to call them as such.) Both of them have enough peculiarities to fill an entire regular ruled Moleskine notebook but Dash is quite the character. The Christmas-hating word whiz turned out to be a courageous kid, putting up with torturous instructions and falling in love with a Christmas-loving girl in strange vintage boots.

2. A subtle but endearing take on same-sex relationship is included in the narration. Lily’s older brother Langston just recovered from a devastating break-up and is currently in a relationship with his new boyfriend. Replace “Langston” with any name of a girl and the thought of the sentence still works. It is not the person or his gender that matters but the human experience. Acceptance is the first step. Understanding is the key. Let all humans be.

3. Some people – and I have read a few comments – dismiss this as a pretentious tome because the main characters pepper their sentences with words like treatise, verklempt and persnickety. First, Lily is a daughter of a Literature professor and Dash has a habit of learning one word from the dictionary before going to sleep. Second, utilizing beautiful words to construct sentences is not pretension but a a long lost practice buried underneath the GTGs, IKRs, and LOLs.

4. Highlighted at the end of the story is the undeniable power of social media. Lily has been wrongly-accused of a crime because of misinterpretation of a video uploaded on the Net. Like a good press relations manager, her friends contained the spreading of the viral video with their own YouTube hit. Super like.

5. Rachel Cohn and David Levithan other publishing hit Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist has received a cinematic treatment featuring Michael Cera and Kat Dennings. Film producers need to snap this one up because it quite filmable. Setting: the Big Apple during Christmas season. Get a couple of talented teen actors good enough to take on the lead roles and it is a go. The Big Apple itself is an interesting character so this is going to be a fun ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares.

Quotes Jowana Liked

Rachel Cohn
“This must be part of Mother Nature's master plan—making these boys so irresistibly cute, in such a naughty way, that the purity of their intentions becomes irrelevant.”
tags: lily

Rachel Cohn
“Well sure, who doesn't need a boyfriend? but realistically, those exotic creatures are hard to come by. At least a quality one.”

Rachel Cohn
“I mean, like most guys, you carry around this girl in your head, who is exactly who you want her to be. The person you think you will love the most. And every girl you are with gets measured against this girl in your head. So this girl with the red notebook - it makes sense. If you never met her, she never has to get measured. She can be the girl in your head.”

Rachel Cohn
“Listen to me: I never married because I was too easily bored. It's an awful, self-defeating trait to have. It's much better to be too easily interested.”

Rachel Cohn
“I mean, what if love isn't a yes-or-no question? It's not either you're in love or you're not. I mean, aren't these different levels? And maybe these things, like words and expectations and whatever, don't go on top of the love. Maybe it's like a map, and they have all their own place, and when you see it from the sky - whoa.”

05/20/2012 page 14