Tessa's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Feb 28, 14

bookshelves: audiobooks, australian-writer, boring
Read from February 23, 2013 to February 28, 2014

I only finished this book because I want to read the second book as well. I really want to give this trilogy a second chance, but if that one's also going to be as boring as this one was I won't read the last book.

I've recently read some really good books, with really strong characters and solid plot and all, so maybe I'm expecting this one to be the same. [no, I'm demanding this one to be the same because, damn it, everybody seems to love it] The story does have a more mature feeling to it (which I like), but it has a male character as the one telling the story and, unfortunately, this is not his story, it's Evanjalin's. Most of the time he looks like a supportive character, his only goal is to do everything she wants of him.

When I started reading this I was not expecting to be this...BORED.
This book could have been so much better. This story started out quite strong only to have it dragging after. I'm really shocked because I've read more from this author and I loved her books. Plus, all the reviews marked this book as some sort of a masterpiece. I can't really see why. :(

First, I hated Evanjalin and her evolution as a character. She didn't look like a priestess to me at all. All this story is built on her lies and her manipulative skills. I know some might consider her a strong female character, but I saw her like a complex villain or something.
(view spoiler)

This book also has no climax. They just try to gather all the exiles and go and free the kingdom, but the battle to win it back lasted less than 2 pages... After that there were a lot more pages about useless retelling of how the people trapped by the curse suffered and convincing Finnikin (view spoiler)

The only reason why I'm giving the next book a try is because the story moves on to Froi and I hope his story will turn out to be less pathetic than Finnikin's.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

07/21/2013 marked as: on-hold