Jessica at Book Sake's Reviews > Abe Sapien, Vol. 2: The Devil Does Not Jest and Other Stories

Abe Sapien, Vol. 2 by Mike Mignola

Apr 26, 12

I won’t lie. Mike Mignola is one of my favorite comic writers. Hellboy and BPRD are great comics. It’s full of supernatural fun. Abe Sapien falls right in line.

I think the best part about Mignola’s stories is that he can tell these epic, end of world stories but still make it all seem like personal struggles. These stories aren't of some chiseled, pretty boy with golden locks flowing as he saves the world and gets the girl. These stories are about people who don’t know what they are or what their purpose is, but they still struggle against ancient evil. Nothing ever works out perfectly and everyone is left with scars, but they still fight.

It also helps that this book has a story drawn by my new favorite artist, James Harren. This guy is starting to get more and more popular and he is illustrating a BPRD story now called ‘The Long Death’. His style has a lot of kinetic energy and his monsters are always creepy. There is a scene in this Abe Sapien book that made me scream with more delight than any movie of recent memory. A giant demon bursting through the floor of someone’s basement? Yay, pure win.

The book does have art from different artists telling different unrelated stories. So some art may or may not strike your fancy, but the stories are great. If you love supernatural action, then you will love this.

Reviewed by Chris for Book Sake.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abe Sapien, Vol. 2.