Rebekka Steg's Reviews > The Female Brain

The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine

Apr 26, 2012

bookshelves: 2010, favourites, health, psychology, non-fiction, women
Read in August, 2010

"Did you know that every brain begins as a female brain and that it only becomes male eight weeks after conception? This is when excess testosterone shrinks the communication centre, reduces the hearing cortex and makes the part of the brain that processes sex twice as large."
- from the back cover.
[Image]
The author of The Female Brain, Louann Brizendine has a degree in neurobiology from University of California, Berkeley and graduated from Yale's School of Medicine. Post-graduation she has worked at University College London, completed her residency in psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and has since worked at University of California, San Fransisco's Medical School.

This book captured me right from page one, it details all the stages of a woman's life - and how her brain is affected and changes throughout these stages. It helped me to understand so many things about myself, that I had never fully understood before. Why my moods change so much throughout the month, why the week after my period is when I feel the best. Our hormones are literally changing daily, and these hormones have a huge impact on how we feel.

This is a book I think every woman should read - and ideally, every man too.

I borrowed this book from the library, but it's going on my list of books I need to own.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Female Brain.

02/14 marked as: read

message 1: by Furqan (new)

Furqan Hi. :) This book is very misleading and in some way only perpetuate sexism. There is no difference between male or female brain! I would strongly recommend reading Delusions of Gender: The Real Science behind Sex Differences to get an unbiased view of research regarding male/female brain.

Rebekka Steg Furqan wrote: "Hi. :) This book is very misleading and in some way only perpetuate sexism. There is no difference between male or female brain! I would strongly recommend reading Delusions of Gender: The Real Sc..."

Oh wow! I'd love to read it! I have to admit that the theory that there are differences between the male and female brain makes a lot of sense to me, although generally speaking I believe the difference between men and women's behaviour is brought on/reinforced by how we are brought up. I'll definitely have to check out the book you've recommended. Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

So I went to add it on my list of books to read (I have a 10 page word doc :P) and it was actually already there, but I've moved it to the top.

message 4: by Furqan (new)

Furqan Rebekka K. wrote: Oh wow! I'd love to read it! I have to admit that the theory that there are differences between the male and female brain makes a lot of sense to me....

Oh I should have said that there are not any biological/genetic differences between male and female brains. I agree with you that upbringing does affect our behaviour. It's rubbish that women are 'naturally' more empathetic than men, it's just that they are unconsciously responding to the society's expectations/stereotypes. As Simone de Beauvoir famously said: "One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman." !

Rebekka Steg Furqan wrote: "Rebekka K. wrote: Oh wow! I'd love to read it! I have to admit that the theory that there are differences between the male and female brain makes a lot of sense to me....

Oh I should have said t..."

Very true! Although I do wonder what effect hormones have on brain/behaviour as I can tell that I do feel different at different times of the month, so I find it hard to believe they have no influence.

message 6: by Furqan (new)

Furqan I can't really say anything now! I am still a novice to the whole feminist/gender equality issues.

It's obvious that things are probably not as black and white. Like, one reason for high crime rates for men could be because of high testosterone levels in their body, but one could argue that men are generally taught to be aggressive/violent from childhood...?

Anyway, I think your blog is excellent! I'll sure be reading through the links that you've posted as a way to get myself acquainted with all these global issues. :)

Rebekka Steg I definitely think you're right it's not a black or white issue, and hormones probably exacerbate the behaviour we're taught (or vice versa).

Thank you so much! Feel free to comment on the blog as well, you've got some really insightful comments.

message 8: by Furqan (new)

Furqan I don't know whether you've seen this link , but I found it while exploring through the links at your blog. ;p Perhaps not the best written article but informative nonetheless and relevant to our discussion. :)

Rebekka Steg Furqan wrote: "I don't know whether you've seen this link , but I found it while exploring through the links at your blog. ;p Perhaps not the best written article but informative nonetheless and relevant to our d..."

Yeah! I have seen it, but I haven't read it list (I save all posts to an app called 'Pocket' (previously Read It Later), then read them on my phone when I have a spare moment, always a few days behind, but I get so much more reading done than I used to :P