Rayne's Reviews > The Farm

The Farm by Emily McKay

Jan 20, 2013

bookshelves: 2012-dec, paranormal, post-apocalyptic, survival, there-s-romance-in-there-somewhere, vampires, you-go-girl, you-have-disturbed-me, young-adult
Read from January 17 to 20, 2013

I didn't expect to actually like this one very much. I didn't remember much from what I read of the blurb when I added it a couple of months ago, but I did remember the words ticks. Of course, I immediately thought the book was about actual ticks that farmed humans and I carried that idea with me when I started the book, so I was a little disappointed to discover that the book was basically about that, but technically, it was not.

This book reminded me a bit of Kagawa's The Immortal Rules, because, you guessed it, this one is actually about vampires and mutated vampires. There's also a little bit of paranormal superpowers, which bothered me at first, but then added another layer of interest to the novel towards the end.

I think the novel is actually pretty good. I want to give it three stars because of the concept (and my misunderstanding about what it was about), but the thing is that I actually enjoyed its execution quite a lot. The writing is pretty good, and there's action, a lot of girl-power, and good characterization when it comes to the two sisters, Lily and Mel. I absolutely loved Mel's chapters and I though they were written amazingly well. I didn't exactly fall for the romance, but it didn't bother me, just like Carter, the love interest, was okay-ish. There were some aspects of the novel that could've been handled better (too many Twilight references, and my copy had several errors, but what I mean here is in terms of the plot, how some twists were handled and in the characterization of the other characters), but, all in all, it was an entertaining, face-paced, thrilling read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farm.