Cecelia's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Apr 26, 12

Read in April, 2012

Have you read The Hunger Games series? If so, feel free to share your thoughts with a comment.

I finished book three in the Hunger Games series last night. Since I read books 2 and 3 back to back, I figured I'd blog about them together. After Katniss and Peeta win the Hunger Games in book one, they still have problems. The Capitol/President Snow feels threatened, Katniss has power that causes fear within Snow. Katniss's attempt to swallow the poisoned berries in the arena has caused a definite stir within the oppressed people in the districts. She goes on tour with Peeta as the victors in the Hunger Games and for the 75th anniversary of the Hunger Games (The Quarter Quell), President Snow announces that the players will be former Hunger Games winners. Peeta and Katniss, as well as a host of other victors, both young and old, are sent back into the arena to fight one another for their lives.

Due to a pre-determined planned, the Games have been rigged and Katniss and some of the other victors are rescued from the Game and taken to the supposedly extinct district 13. Katniss is worried about Peeta's safety since he's been taken by the Capitol. Katniss loses her mind as she's "nominated" by District 13 to be the Mockingjay, a spokesperson/support person for the war. She's seen enough blood and guts to last a lifetime, and the gory details of book three are too numerous to mention in this blog post.

Although both of these books were riveting stories, and I felt compelled to read books one, two, and three back to back, I still felt that it was written from the viewpoint of somebody who has little/no faith/belief in God. I felt that the characters in all three of these books were functioning in a Godless, cruel world. There was so much danger, blood, guts, negativity in the stories, that I felt that most people, when in such an oppressed society would call upon God. But, it was almost as if religion doesn't exist in this futuristic 13-district North American world. However, it's possible that I feel this way because I read so much Christian fiction that it's second nature for me to seek a faith element in a story.

I do think these books are thought-provoking. The novels make you think about morals within our society. It also makes you think about war, and about how the actions of war can affect innocent people, like unarmed women and children.

I also felt that these books were too dark to be marketed as young adult novels. I feel they were marketed as such because the characters were so young.

I did enjoy reading these stories, because they are very compelling and you can really feel for the characters, especially with all that they lose in the war. I plan on seeing the movie soon.

Have you read these books? If so, did you like them?

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Harms I have not read these books. After your description of them I am repelled, and yet I think I must read at least one. I hate violent, gory, Godless stories, yet I think I must know what is being said in these books.
The reason is that I see this kind of trend in political discourse. Laws already exist that will motivate this sort of behavior. The author takes things to a dramatic extreme, but that is what art is all about.
The political climate in the US today is to extract any moral standard that hints that God might actually exist, let alone be sovereign over the affairs of human beings. Clearly The Hunger Games series is set in an era when that tendency has reached an extreme. When political debate includes things like "a woman's right to choose' to murder her baby for personal convenience, our political leaders are pushing the idea that God does not exist. One prominent political candidate suggested that an elderly woman ought to take a pain pill till she died of her medical conditions instead of being treated with surgery or therapies that would restore her health, because at her age the cost of such treatment and the diversion of resources to give such treatment was unjustified. In 2010 the US Congress enacted a law that includes the specification that treatment decisions for every patiend will ultimately be subject to a determination by a board or boards who triage the combination of possible treatments, possible patient demographics and possible limited funds to decide who is treated and who is discarded. Such an attitude implies that we humans must put a price on human life when God himself showed us in Christ that no price is too great, because God considers every human being to be priceless. For a government to implement something like The Hunger Games is an extreme development from such attitudes, but not unimaginable.
So, I do plan now to read at least one of those books. I expect to be disgusted and angry. I expect to need to force myself to stay with the story. But when it is over, I expect to be inspired to write and speak and vote with ever more energy to defeat people who would further the development of a public morality that excludes God. These books imply that a public morality without God is no morality at all, and I think that is where we are headed.

Cecelia Katherine wrote: "I have not read these books. After your description of them I am repelled, and yet I think I must read at least one. I hate violent, gory, Godless stories, yet I think I must know what is being sai..."

Katherine, if you must choose just one of the books to read, I'd suggest starting with the first book, The Hunger Games: http://ceceliadowdy.blogspot.com/2012...

However, don't be surprised if you'll want to read the other two once you're done with that one. The books are written in a way that you'll want to see what happens to the characters after the book ends.

Yes, our Society is currently full of occurances that go against my morals. I've heard others state the same things in your comment.

Ruth Just finished reading them. I'll have to read your comments on Books 2 & 3. I enjoyed them, but agree, they are from a 'godless' POV.