Annalisa's Reviews > Junie B. Jones's First Boxed Set Ever!

Junie B. Jones's First Boxed Set Ever! by Barbara Park

542037
Sep 03, 08

bookshelves: childrens
Recommended to Annalisa by: Alexis
Read in October, 2007

My daughter's first grade teacher loved Junie B. Jones and started off the year reading many of her books. I was all over a cute spunky girl who wore glasses as the main character. That was until I read some of her books. Besides some humor, I don't find much to love about this girl.

Children's books should not encourage bad grammar. Period. Yes adverbs are a hard concept, but reinforcing the incorrect use of them doesn't do children any favors. Especially when they think it's cute to talk like Junie B. and start emulating her. Grammar in America is deteriorating and avid reading is the strongest warrior against it. When bad grammar props up in children's literature it sort of ruins the point of reading.

If her vocabulary weren't irritating enough, her whiny, know-it-all personality rakes against me. I can't read it to my daughter without having to correct the dialogue again and again. I just can't read bad grammar. So we talked about why the sentences were incorrect because I know she's reading it without me. And then I bought her a ton of better children's literature to distract her from her begging for Junie B. Jones books. (Beverly Cleary anyone?)

Gratefully her teacher moved on to better forums for children's literacy like Magictree House and Roald Dahl. If you want spunk in your heroine's try Ramona the Pest or Clementine. They're intelligent, color-out-side-the-lines, question-authority-without-being-annoying girls who don't butcher the English language.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junie B. Jones's First Boxed Set Ever!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I cannot stand the Junie B. Jones books for all the reasons you mentioned and more. I personally think that children learn good spelling and grammar from reading. I have noticed that the more a person reads, the better their vocabulary, spelling, grammar and language in general all improve. After looking over a couple of these books, I cannot believe any teacher would recommend them. There are plenty of kids books out there with characters that are spunky or silly (such as Ramona Quimby right?) that can entertain kids and use correct grammar. Anyway, I am amazed any publishing company would publish this and I think kids who read them on a regular basis are not going to learn correctly. That said, I have let my daughter read a few of these books, knowing that if I forbid them it would make them all the more alluring. Thankfully she got annoyed with them pretty quickly too and we avoided that fight.