LJ's Reviews > Her Royal Spyness

Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

Sep 03, 08

bookshelves: amateur_sleuth, cozy, female_author, england, golden_age_1918-1939, humor, mystery
Read in August, 2008

HER ROYAL SPYNESS (Cozy-Lady Victoria-England-1930s) – G
Bowen, Rhys – 1st in series
Berkeley Prime Crime, 2008, US Paperback – ISBN: 9780425222522

First Sentence: There are two disadvantages to being a minor royal.

Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie may be 34th in line for the throne, but she is also broke. She is staying at the family mansion, Rennoch House, in London and learning to be self-sufficient.

A disagreeable Frenchman shows up at the door looking for her brother. He claims their father, a gambler who had lost the family fortune, had also lost the family home, Castle Rennoch. Victoria later finds the Frenchman dead in the bathtub and her brother her brother headed back to the Castle. She doesn’t believe her brother killed the Frenchman; how she just has to prove it.

This first book in Ms. Bowen’s new series introduces us to a cast of delightful characters. While some seem to be social stereotypes, it’s hard not to be drawn to Lady Victoria and her non-titled grandfather, an ex-policeman. In fact, almost the first half of the book introduces us to the characters. Only after that do we get into the mystery, which is decently done except for way too many coincidences.

The book is a bit too light for my taste, but it is a fun.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Royal Spyness.

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy yay! i'm glad you've read it and like it. just picked it up an B&N. :)