Elceehayward's Reviews > Before I Die

Before I Die by Jenny Downham

Apr 26, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: death, romance, england, cancer

On the cover of this book, there were positive reviews, all my friends had positive things to say about this book, there were positive things about this book on the internet.

I personally didn't like this book. It was over-rated and extremely gloomy. Obviously, a book about cancer is going to be sad, but this book was beyond sad. Every sentence was upsetting, cold and awfully harsh.

Tessa is a 16 year old girl who has spent many years of her life battling leukimia. She has been told that she only has a short time of her life left to live, and with that time, she has a list of things she wants to do. The idea of the story is fantastic, but the way it's told is not very good.

Tessa is very difficult to like. If I was told that I was going to die, I would be as nice to my family as possible. Tessa, on the otherhand treats her brother and father pretty badly, and is constantly in a bad mood. She is difficult to like.

Adam was a wonderful character, who I believed made this book. He brought an element of positivity to the book which was needed. Without him, this book would have been a dud.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. The author has taken a wonderful idea, and failed to produce a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Die.