Malquiviades's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

M_50x66
Nov 02, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from September 26 to October 29, 2012

I have liked this second book more than the first, though... not enough to make it improve the rating.

It just left me the strong feeling that it makes it short to be a great fantasy novel (and not due to the length). The potential is there, but something is missing.

The story... no, let me say it right, the adventures are very nice indeed and caught you instantly. However, it seems more like a patchwork than a smooth, seamless novel. The thought that comes first to my mind is just as if I were looking at the novelization of a PC background in a RPG. It is like the lucky opportunity you have when a generous Master lets you to include an incredible set of skills if you are able to come up with an entertaining/"credible" background: go to University, learn magic, make friends and enemies; have to go out and met top influential guy saving his life and many other things but at the end come back almost empty handed; then, go there and learn the secret martial art; meet the most sexual Faery that has ever been and came with your senses on and converted in the most skilled sex-machine... Therefore, however amusing that might be, it does not go with the idea I have a of a great fantasy novel.

Also, it is plainly clear that the author has thrown here many of its own... experiences? background? wishes? frustrations? Not inherently bad, but not well concealed here.

It is not easy for me to put into words, but there is a flaw in the story that the great individual stories are not able to amend by themselves. Even if I do have enjoyed it a lot. I will wait for the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.