Janet Richards's Reviews > Serena

3120756
Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: kindle
Read from May 26 to June 07, 2012

Serena is someone I won't soon forget. Not too many times you find in fiction a woman that is more ruthless and cold-blooded than just about everybody.

I enjoyed the setting - 1920's Appalachia. I especially liked his plot device of using the workers conversation to advance the story. I got a good feel for the speaking patterns and characters, and it was humorous too.

Being the cynical person that I am - I suspect this is how many of the old money families got their money. Many people through history seemed to me to have helped their "American Dream" become real with a healthy dose of pushing others down while they ruthlessly climbed up.

Not that that's changed much today - just perhaps instead of with shotguns and henchmen it's done with PACs and lawyers and lobbyists.

But I digress.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serena.

05/28/2012
06/06/2012
65.0% "Serena is a piece of work!!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leslee I just finished the book this weekend. I loved it! I agree that the title character was about as ruthless as they come. The logging story was very interesting to me. My grandfather owned a sawmill and I used to spend summers with them up at the logging camp.

Janet Richards That's neat, it seems like a very rugged life. I hear it's going to be a movie - I hope they do a good job with it. It could be a great movie.

Leslee Thats the key word #could#. Hollywood has a way of messing things up. Who do you think should play Serena? Maybe Charlize Theron.

Janet Richards Angelina Jolie!!! She would nail it! But alas it is already in production with the girl from Hunger Games. She seems a bit young for the part to me, so I'm a bit wary.