Heather's Reviews > The Book Thief

Oct 21, 11

Recommended to Heather by: Trina, Waters Landing Bookclub
Recommended for: YA 13+, Historical Fiction
Read in October, 2011, read count: 1

I am very picky about that fifth star but I feel that this book earns it many times over. To begin, the writing is immaculately crafted. Each word has purpose and stunning descriptive power yet the text is wonderfully unencumbered. This works so well for a novel set during WWII because it fully conveys the intensity and starkness of war. It also brilliantly captures the German characters and feels true to the culture of the time and the culture of the war years. I also can't gush enough about the pacing of the novel and the use of foreshadowing. Zusak is a truly gifted storyteller. I wish that I had read this years ago when my friend Trina first recommended it to me. I can't believe I've withheld this wonder of a read for that long. I must add a copy to my collection very soon.

This novel is designated as a Young Adult novel. I would feel comfortable recommending it to teens 13 years or older. There is no sex to be worried about. There is steady stream of swearing but it's all in German. This kind of took the bite out of it for me. There is also war related violence. I did find it to be graphic, over the top, or unsettling. It is sad though.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.