Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > Redheads are Soulless

Redheads are Soulless by Heather M. White

Apr 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: tour, i-own-this, posted-on-blog, other-supes
Read from June 03 to 04, 2012

Sofie Black has a really crappy life. Since the death of her dad seven years ago, she has been dealing with an alcoholic mother, living in a dilapidated house, and having to wear ragged clothing. This of course doesn't make her too popular at her tiny high school. But she is used to her life, and thankful she is in her senior year and can escape it soon.

One day, a sexy new student comes in, and to Sofie's disbelief, takes an immediate interest in her. His name is Jason Morgan, and he pursues Sofie in a way no one ever has before. He just CARES. Jason takes care of Sofie, and she finds herself falling for him. Until his equally hot, bad-boy twin brother, Robbie joins him at school. Jason lets Sofie know that Robbie is the one who killed her father. She finds him revolting at first, until he tells her what Jason is not--she has powers she never knew about--and then she becomes dangerously attracted to him.

I was quickly sucked into the first part of this book. I really felt for Sofie and everything she had to deal with with her mom. What 17 year old girl wants to spend her weekends waiting around at home until she has to to pick up her falling-down-drunk mother from a bar?

But Sofie was such a strong character, and she just did what needed to be done. She never complained, and never felt sorry for herself. It was very sad in a way. She was so used to her life being so crappy, she had just resigned herself to it being that way forever.

That's why I was so glad when she met Jason. He took care of her, and showed her that she was a person worth loving and being given attention. It's no wonder she fell for him so quickly.

The book started to somewhat fall apart for me towards the end. First of all, the grammar, spelling, and tense had been near perfect for the first 2/3 of the book...which is great when reading an indie book! But at some point, the tense kept changing from past to present and it made it quite hard for me to follow. But I pushed through.

Second, all the events at the end happened very, very quickly. The showdown with Adrianne and the twist with the brothers came at me VERY quickly and left me with little time to process what was going on. I wish the story had been fleshed out with a bit more exposition and background.

I finished this story in a couple of hours, and it was a nice little escape. Heather White is a talented author with a great storytelling skill...the work just needs a little polish to make it shine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redheads are Soulless.

message 1: by Madison (new) - added it