Jennifer (JC-S)'s Reviews > Redemption Day

Redemption Day by Steve O'Brien

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: review-books
Read from April 25 to 29, 2012

‘They believe that the state is unlawful.’

Nick James has just been fired as a terrorist analyst, and is about to become the most wanted man in America after Supreme Court Justice Silvio Caprelli is kidnapped on a parkway in Washington DC. A Sherriff is murdered, while he’s waiting to talk to Nick.

Who has kidnapped Justice Caprelli, and why? Who murdered the Sherriff? Why has Nick James become caught up in this? Is he being set up, and if so, who is setting him up and why? A taskforce is assembled to try to rescue Justice Caprelli, and Nick has information that may assist – if he can convince the taskforce to trust him and the bad guys from killing him.

‘The center of the star changes everything.’

The terrorists in this story are home-grown. A militant group called the Posse Comitatus has kidnapped Justice Caprelli for a reason, and time is running out. It seems likely that a terrorist attack is imminent, but when and where? There are plenty of clues, but they will only make sense to someone familiar with the motivations and operations of the Posse Comitatus.

I found this a good page-turning read. There’s plenty of action and some interesting characters. A couple of aspects didn’t work for me initially, but I quickly became caught up in the story and keen to see how (and where) it would end. The story moves quickly and smoothly between those holding Justice Caprelli, and those trying to secure his release. The basis for the novel is set out in an Author’s Note at the end of the novel. Steve O’Brien writes: 'All of the historical statements and events attributed to the Posse Comitatus are true but with two exceptions.' A sobering thought indeed. Home-grown terrorists are far more frightening: there is no ‘them’, only people just like ‘us’.

Note: I was offered, and accepted, a copy of this book for review purposes.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redemption Day.