Zeenat's Reviews > The Taken

The Taken by Vicki Pettersson
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
6053835
's review
Jun 20, 12

Read from June 12 to 20, 2012

Synopsis: Griffin Shaw, a dead PI turned angel, escorts newly dead people to their afterlife. Katherine “Kit” Craig is a journalist who has a big case and lives a rockabilly lifestyle with a “world is pretty” attitude. Griffin Shaw makes a mistake that brings him back down to the earth in flesh, and his job is to watch Kit Craig die and escort her home. But he can’t allow her to die, and both work together to help save her life and uncover why girls are being killed.

But Griffin Shaw has an ulterior motive, too–He wants to find out who killed him and his beautiful wife, Evie, 50 years ago. The problem is, the attraction between Griffin and Kit is them is unstoppable . . .

Review: I was super excited for this book. I loved the Zodiac Series books, and I love rockabilly fashion! Pencil skirts, cupcake dresses, and cherries!

I loved the character’s in this book. Each character from Griffin to Charlotte is such an individual. The way Pettersson wrote this book, I can perfectly picture the characters in my mind. Griffin is a hot shot former PI a la “film noire detective”. Which fit perfectly with Modern but “stuck in the past” Kit. The language is also so “old school”. I love it. The romance that develops between the two characters is just beautiful. Although it was a quick developed romance, the nature and style of the book made it believable. I also enjoyed the parallel drawn between their real pasts, how they dealt with it, and how it had manifested in their current lives.

Which brings me to why I love that the world she created. It was a salute to the past: the world she created was one that although the books were set in modern day, there was a distinct film noire/mobsterish type feel to it. Bad guys and dangerous men with swagger, the damsels were in distress, and the passion just oozed out. This book was primarily a mystery in my mind, we were watching the characters unfold what happened and why. The mystery is kind of backwards (view spoiler) Now that was cool.

Now the cons. One, although I loved the language, sometimes it didn’t make sense. Such as, a recently dead guy refers to girls as “betties”. Um, no one in our age calls girls betties, at least not someone who is NOT in the rockabilly lifestyle.

The book started off quite slow. I can’t blame Pettersson for that, as that is the problem with most first books, and she does, comparatively, a good job at balancing the pace after the first third. I was disappointed that it was very Fantasy “light”. Someone told me this book was more mystery than Fantasy, and I agree. Maybe the following books will be more heavy on the Fantasy.

This was a fun and fast paced read (although it took me forever, but that was my own time constraints). There is action, romance, violence, and some angels thrown in. If you like mystery or film noire/rockabilly culture, or just Vicki Pettersson getting her formidable talent on, then this book is absolutely for you! I can’t wait till the next book comes out.

Sex: Hot steamy sex scenes, and some sex stuff that makes your stomach turn, including the mention of underage girls. If reading about child abuse (young teen girls nude) bothers you, then there are sections you should avoid, but it doesn’t take away from the whole story. I thought it was handled very well–intended to make the reader and the character feel revulsion.
Violence: pretty brutally described . . . again, if you can’t stomach violence, maybe this isn’t for you.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Quote:
“So. You’re a fallen angel.” She folded her arms.
“I’m not fallen,” he said roughly.
“Then what are you?”
He shrugged. “Busted.”

Next Book: The Lost comes out March 13, 2013
likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taken.
sign in »

Reading Progress

06/12/2012
0.0% "so excited!!!! The signs of the zodiac is one of my favorite series, so I am expecting nothing less!"
06/13/2012
16.0% "slow start. Kind of disappointed because I expected more . . . we'll see how it goes."
06/15/2012
20.0% "I'm having a hard time with it, but right now is when the action is starting so I'm hoping the book will speed up for the rest of 80%"
06/18/2012
33.0% "I have no time to read . . . . ugh. But the book has picked up and I like it!"

No comments have been added yet.