Peggy's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

Apr 25, 12

When a book is as highly anticipated as this one was, you start to steel yourself for the inevitable letdown--even if the book is good, what are the chances that it will be that good? I mean, sure, her blog is funny as hell. And yes, if you don't follow her on twitter (@TheBloggess) you'll never know just how side-splitting random chaos and taxidermied animals can be. But really; a whole book? Surely it can't sustain the level of sheer manic Texas-gonzo hilarity and wrongness we've come to expect, right?

That's what I thought, too. Until I found myself not just laughing out loud but actually reading the book out loud.

To myself.

Jenny Lawson's voice is so clear, you can hear it (although granted, that's difficult to do over the sound of me already reading it aloud. Sorry about that.), and I love it all--the sarcasm, the stress, the traumatic childhood memories, the editorial asides. There's nothing more fun than a book you can't wait to share with your friends, and right now, there's no book I'd rather share.

Seriously. Call me up right now and I'll read bits of it aloud over the phone for you. You can't stop me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.