Ken's Reviews > A Journey to the End of the Millennium - A Novel of the Middle Ages

A Journey to the End of the Millennium - A Novel of the Middl... by Abraham B. Yehoshua

Sep 18, 08

bookshelves: did-not-finish
Read in September, 2008

I almost never abandon a book partway through, but it became clear to me -- after it took two weeks to read 70 pages -- that I was fighting a losing battle this time. I don't believe in giving a star rating to books I haven't finished, so I'll leave that blank.

A Journey to the End of the Millennium was a selection for a book club that I joined, so I was motivated to read it. Unfortunately, I found that I couldn't get through more than a few pages without my patience wavering and my attention wandering.

Language can be used to lift the bare bones of a plot into something transporting and beautiful, but here it just bogged down in shapeless, rambling passages. The prose is plodding, utterly without personality or wit. Characters lay flat on the page, stubbornly refusing to be anything but black ink on white paper.

Perhaps in its original Hebrew, A Journey to the End of the Millennium would have been a much better experience. I have no way to know how much to blame on the translation. Either way, I'm done with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Journey to the End of the Millennium - A Novel of the Middle Ages.