Kelly's Reviews > This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

This Is How by Augusten Burroughs

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, 2012
Read from May 08 to 14, 2012

Another First Reads book (I've been winning left and right lately), though this one is really hard to review. Like other reviewers, given the author's previous work and the cover design, I very much expected a satirical look at self-help books, but the book is entirely serious. A collection of multiple essays, my reactions varied dramatically from one to the next. I found the one about love, for example, well, lovely, though others seemed to spout Yoda-like advice ("Don't try. Be."). Still others seemed to come down awfully hard on traditional therapy, seemingly dismissing valid mental health concerns to an almost dangerous degree, while others, like the one on AA, offered some well-constructed and intriguing criticism on large, seemingly successful institutions. While I hardly agreed with his perspective on each issue, I found the book to be well-written and his arguments to be thought-provoking. This would make a good book club book-it's well-suited for a (perhaps intense) group discussion.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How.