Jennifer Waite's Reviews > Pretty

Pretty by Jillian Lauren

F_50x66
Apr 29, 12

Read from April 25 to 29, 2012

From review posted on my website: http://www.thiscantwaite.com/pretty-j...

Bebe Baker recounts events leading up to her current circumstances, in a halfway house and trying to finish cosmetology school, where she's trying to really put her life together for the first time. I wouldn't say she's reinventing herself since she's essentially been fumbling around up until this point.

I give it 3 stars. Good book, easy to dance to.

I'm more interested in the author. Jillian Lauren really is a former stripper and cosmetologist. She's also a former escort, including a couple stints in the harem that prince in Brunei. Now she's married to Weezer's bass player and they adopted a son she has nicknamed T-Bone.

She is a very good writer. I found myself pulling quotes a few pages in.

"You have to be careful how you fake it, though, because things like that can stick and before you know it you become what you're pretending to be."

"Dancing was another one of those choices I made that I didn't know until way later what it really meant."

"And even if it wasn't Madison, it had been hundreds of others and probably hundreds more. That's what happens to your eyes when you spend your nights in the laps of everyone else's husbands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty.

Quotes Jennifer Liked

Jillian Lauren
“You have to be careful how you fake it, though, because things like that can stick and before you know it you become what you're pretending to be..”
Jillian Lauren, Pretty

Jillian Lauren
“I pretend I'm fighting to live in the present but really I'm having an affair with the past every secret moment.”
Jillian Lauren, Pretty