Mark's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Apr 29, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: audiobooks
Read from April 25 to 27, 2012

Clay Jensen, a high school student, receives a package. In it are seven cassette tapes, recorded by Hannah Baker, who had committed suicide two weeks earlier. On these tapes she mentions thirteen kids and gives her reasons why she decided to end her life.
Other readers have loved this book but it didn’t quite work for me. The gimmicky set-up and the various contrivances worked against it. It does have some important things to say about bullying and being responsible for your actions, but kids do stupid and cruel things. I’m not sure that will ever change.

Vanessa i just bought this up at the retreat!!

Mark The format is a bit gimmicky but the writing is solid. They are starting to post the Retreat Author Talks. Is there one I should listen to?

Joanne-in-Canada Mark, I would recommend Madeline Miller. Of the four authors that I saw in small sessions, she seemed to be the only one that had prepared something specifically for Saturday night.

I didn't see Richard Mason or William Landay in small sessions, and also found their talks interesting.

Mark Joanne- Good to hear from you! Thanks for the advice. I hope you had a great time. I wish I could have been there. Hopefully next year.

Joanne-in-Canada Yes, I had a great time, both catching up with friends from last year and making new ones. I went down a day early so I had time to decompress after my drive through the Adirondacks. Are you going to either of the other two Booktopias?

Mark No, not this year. I'm hoping for a Retreat in the Midwest next year. Fingers crossed.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Oh, and I missed you too Mark!

Mark Hi Carol- I missed you too! Maybe next year!

Joanne-in-Canada There were several comments suggesting Chicago, but smaller centres seem to work best. Maybe the Illinois contingent can find a suitable venue! I'd go to Illinois!

message 10: by Mark (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mark Joanne- I sure hope they pick the Chicago area or anywhere in the Midwest would do! Glad you guys had a great time.