Trisha's Reviews > The Book of Ebenezer Le Page

The Book of Ebenezer Le Page by G.B. Edwards

Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: favorites

By the time I got to the end of this captivating book, I was ready to head for the Guernsey Islands – in spite of what crusty old Ebenezer Le Page had to say about tourists: “If you want to know human nature at its lowest and its worst, get to know it when it is on holiday.” Nevertheless, I still wish I could visit the Channel Islands for myself, although after reading this book I doubt if they’d be the same without cantankerous and opinionated Ebenezer Le Page. Despite the fact that often the first words out of his mouth were “ I have another complaint to make about the way things are allowed to go on in this world,” I grew terribly fond of him and the stories he told about his quirky family and the neighbors he knew so well (and complained so loudly about.) Although this book is actually a novel, it’s written to be read as a memoir and it worked so well that all the way through it I had a hard time convincing myself that G.B. Edwards and Ebenezar Le Page aren’t really one and the same person. The story line meanders back and forth in time between 1890 and 1970 – a span of years that brought a tremendous amount of change in the lives of the Guernsey Islanders. The beauty of the island, the impact of changing values on old ways of life, not to mention the language - a fascinating type of French-English patois characteristic to the region - all make this book one of the best I’ve read in a long time. Best of all was the chance to meet Ebenezer Le Page and discover the warmth and wisdom that was always there underneath that gruff exterior. In fact, one of the things he says about his nephew could just as easily be applied to Ebenezer himself: “He made us feel there was something good deep in the world, and something good deep in everybody…,”

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Ebenezer Le Page.