Randy's Reviews > The Wild Book

The Wild Book by Margarita Engle

Apr 26, 12

bookshelves: april12, historical-fiction, poetry
Read from April 25 to 26, 2012

Fefa lives in Cuba at the turn of the 20th century. This was a time of unrest, both within the government and within her own life. She struggles with dyslexia, and the teasing of her siblings and classmates. Through the poetry, we journey with Fefa as she confronts and ultimately defeats this problem.

I picked this book up as it was recommended by one of the book sellers, from whom I buy books for my library.

I finished it because the words were simple, beautiful and evoked a setting with which I was not very familiar.

I would recommend this to Leeah as she would appreciate the imagery with the verses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Book.

Quotes Randy Liked

Margarita Engle
“Danger is a chain...passed from one wounded child to the next. We must stop the danger by breaking the chain. We must learn how to stay safe and be kind.”
Margarita Engle, The Wild Book

Margarita Engle
“I don't understand the whole thrilling verse, but I love the way poetry turns ordinary words into winged things that rise up and soar!”
Margarita Engle, The Wild Book
tags: poetry

04/25/2012 page 20
14.0% "I just picked this up while buying books for the library, today. It is written in verse, which is always an interesting way to tell a story."
04/26/2012 page 68
47.0% "The poetry makes the story come alive. The struggles Fefa is facing due to her dyslexia, are heartbreaking, and yet what is admirable is her perseverance."
04/26/2012 page 88
61.0% "To see the world through another's eyes, is possible in poetry. For isn't that what a poem is? A glimpse into the world as the poet sees it?"