M.G. Bianco's Reviews > Beauty for Truth's Sake: On the Reenchantment of Education

Beauty for Truth's Sake by Stratford Caldecott

Jun 16, 2012

bookshelves: education, non-fiction, theology
Read from April 25 to June 12, 2012

This book was amazing--at least for me as someone who works in the education world. I've written elsewhere that we live in a world that has become a modern-day version of alchemists. We refuse to learn or work at anything without doing a cost-benefit analysis and knowing up front what the utilitarian and practical benefits of such learning or work will be. Whatever we are going to touch, we want it to turn to gold (as the alchemists did), although what we mean is a goo-paying job, nice house, fancy car, etc.

We need to see the world as a place replete with goodness and beauty, because--believe it or not--that's what it is.

Caldecott does an amazing job of pointing us back to goodness and beauty, of helping us to see the beauty in music, poetry, and especially in mathematics and science.

One of my favorite lines from the book (lines he is quoting from Hans Urs von Balthasar's The Glory of the Lord:

We no longer dare to believe in beauty and we make of it a mere appearance in order the more easily to dispose of it. Our situation today shows that beauty demands for itself at least as much courage and decision as do truth and goodness, and she will not allow herself to be separated and banned from her two sisters without taking them along with herself in an act of mysterious vengeance>

Elsewhere, he says that "without beauty, we have no reason or motivation to pray." Think on that.

One of the ways he shows the beauty in math is to show through a kind of numerology study, what numbers mean symbolically and religiously. That study leads him into the golden ratio and other ideas. This leads him to contemplate theological concepts such as the Trinity, the Unity and Diversity of God, and the Incarnation, as well as why pi isn't a whole number, or the mathematical calculations within the Golden Rectangle do not lead to whole numbers. Uniting and integrating theology and mathematics because one catches a glimpse of the beauty of mathematics: a foreign idea in modern education and thinking. Yet, in classical education, that was the purpose of the seven liberal arts, to lead one to the study and contemplation of Theology, which of course is the study of God in order to know Him and to make Him known.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty for Truth's Sake.

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Jones I guess even the guy praying in the Gulag is motivated by the beauty that he remembers of Earth or the beauty he knows about heaven.