Flannery's Reviews > Two Dog Biscuits

Two Dog Biscuits by Beverly Cleary

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: childrens-books, clearly-beverly-cleary-2012, kcls, read-in-2012
Read on April 25, 2012

What kind of troll gives a Beverly Cleary children's book one star, right? Don't worry, I'll tell you exactly why...while spoiling the entire plot of this very short picture book:

Twins, a boy and a girl, are given two milkbone dog biscuits.
They leave them various places around the house until they decide to give them to dogs.
They then go around town seeing all sorts of dogs with their biscuits in their pockets and VETO EACH ONE for reasons like the size of the dog or the fact that the dog barked.
They go home and feed both bones to their cat.

Their parents didn't think a cat would eat them, but it did.

Lesson everyone is supposed to learn: Sometimes parents don't know everything.

Lesson I learned: These twins are monsters. Who teases dogs like that? And what parent would let their kids tease dogs like that?

Clearly Beverly Cleary 2012, Book 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Dog Biscuits.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Hmm...
That's an odd 'story'.
Poor doggies. And what kind of cat eats dog bones? Gross. lol

message 2: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr Oh no Beverly Clearly, why??

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly WTF?

Flannery It's like an "I told you so!" to the parents. But honestly, I just felt awful for all the dogs the kids didn't give the bones to. Boooo.

message 5: by Mands (new)

Mands Aw, poor dogs. I love this review!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Flannery wrote: "It's like an "I told you so!" to the parents. But honestly, I just felt awful for all the dogs the kids didn't give the bones to. Boooo."

Yes! Also, doesn't it sort of skimp on promoting generosity and compassion while promoting being judgmental of outward appearances?

Flannery There are at least 10 other ways I wish the book would've gone. Heck, even if they'd given 1 to a dog and the other 1 to the cat I would've liked it more.

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan What a crazy story! Why give dog biscuits to the twins if they don't have a dog? And what of the poor kittehs? Why not give cat treats? Funny how some "harmless" kid stories can be traumatizing to adults. Esio Trot is the first that comes to mind, love Roald Dahl, but that book has a touch of evil.