Ashlie's Reviews > The Death Cure

The Death Cure by James Dashner

Apr 25, 12

Read in March, 2012

I still like Thomas, even after everything he's been through, all the changes that he allowed and didn't allow to happen in his head and his heart, I think he is wonderful. I feel like, despite not really knowing what his past was, he realized he didn't have to continue to be that person now. No matter what decisions had put him here, he could be better than whatever WICKED expected him to be, and it seems he was tired of living to or against their expectations anyway. He finally stopped catering his actions to what WICKED was going to think or expect of him, which is what I waited this whole series for!

The one thing I hated that Thomas did, but I can understand it happens after we find out one of his friends from the maze is infected. Of course, I won't tell you whooooo...but honestly, Thomas let him down, and I'm not 100% sure I blame him. I don't know if I could have made that decision either, or even if I made the decision, I don't know if I could bring myself to act on it. Either way you're going to have a ton of guilt, so maybe it is simply a question of which guilt would you rather live with?

I loved Brenda from the very beginning of Death Cure, even though I wasn't fond of her in The Scorch Trials, and I really started to dislike Teresa in the second book. That trend really continued for me in this concluding book. The more she opened her mouth, the more I couldn't stand her, she was so annoying and so selfish. The end of this book didn't even soften me towards her, despite her obviously shedding her selfishness (unless she did it for selfish reasons...which, there is only one I can think of...hmmm) Teresa just irritated her way into the "dislike" portion of my brain and I can't find a redeeming quality in her, despite her offering everything she could to redeem herself! Brenda, on the other hand, is so nonjudgmental and helpful, so calming and considerate. That's the kind of stability you need in a character that is intended to be a companion, in any and every sense of the word.

I loved the new scenery that Dashner created for us in Death Cure. I loved imagining how a major city could look affected by a catastrophic illness, and how the portion of the city left uninfected would have to deal with the afflicted. It was interesting to see the way the government was organized outside of WICKED, in the real world. This is a book that I absolutely could not predict how it would end. Everything changed constantly and people I thought would get to live cured, ended up not getting that luxury. People I thought would die didn't live up to that expectation either, so I was left surprised all the way around.

One thing that disappointed me was the lack of development in the story line regarding the characters who choose to get their memories back. I would have liked to see more emotion from that (and a few other scenarios in the story as well), but as masculine as this story is intended to be, it makes sense that the emotions would be held back some. However, there are female characters involved, so maybe it could have seemed a bit more realistic to have the girls emit at least some sense of being overwhelmed or emotional. WHERE ARE THE TEARS, DANG IT!? Just kidding, but seriously, emotional stimulation for me as a reader was okay, but if you want to completely capture my heart, you should make me cry uncontrollably or pull my heartstrings in a million directions, which they were, at times, but not so much that it left an incredibly lasting impression/

It seems fitting that I would work on this review today, as I just received an email today that Dashner's prequel to this series, The Kill Order, is now available for pre-order (it will be released 8/14/12). This is a book that I am really looking forward to, because now that I know how it ends, I would love to know how it all started. Thomas's involvement in the trials has always intrigued me and finally, Dashner is giving us the inside info on how it all began!

In Death Cure, I'm really not sure how I feel about Chancellor Paige, so maybe Kill Order will help me sort out my opinion of her (and maybe soften my heart towards Teresa).

I'm rating Death Cure 4 STARS, because I enjoyed it, and I was happy with the ending, it gave me hope that the Gladers could finally rest, even though i was sad for those who didn't make it that far or get to experience the hope for the future. I mean, I still don't even know if Thomas deserves to have that hope! Maybe that's where The Kill Order comes in...

I would recommend this books to boys (kind of vague, I know), and to other readers who like dystopian. If you're not one for waterworks, but like when characters are faced with seemingly impossible decisions, then this is a good choice for you. I've lent this series out to three people already (which is hard for me because they're all signed copies!), but I've just got to share the books I enjoy with people I read with!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death Cure.