Valerie's Reviews > Z for Zachariah

Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien

F_50x66
Apr 25, 12

I'm not sure this is the edition I read, but I don't think that makes that much difference, in the case of this book; as I don't believe that different editions vary much.

This is a book I picked up, frankly, because of the title. Otherwise I found it quite disappointing. It's hardly the first post-apocalyptic book I've ever read, and I found little evidence of any real thought in this one. The protagonist is poorly educated and not particularly ingenious. The man who comes to her for succor is not a particularly nice man.

Whether these are truly the only survivors of humanity is, in a sense, irrelevant. If they are, it's hardly likely that they can ever repeople the Earth. Human genetic variation is already pretty limited. A survivor pool of fewer than about 500 wouldn't be viable in the long run, unless there's a higher mutation rate following the holocaust. And even so, it'd have to be more than two parents.

Likely I wouldn't reread this book. Even if I found copy, I certainly wouldn't buy it for my home library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Z for Zachariah.